ANDRITZ has received an order from SCA to rebuild a disc filter at their pulp mill in Ortviken, Sundsvall, Sweden. After the rebuild, the production capacity of the disc filter (originally supplied by ANDRITZ) will be tripled to 900 bdmt/d, and the filtrate flow will be increased to a maximum of 130,000 l/min. The refurbished disc filter will ensure the requested throughput at different beating degree levels, ranging from 300 to 700 CSF, for the production of various high-quality pulp grades. Start-up is scheduled for the fourth quarter 2022.
The ANDRITZ scope of supply comprises the main disc filter components, such as:
- New hollow shaft with high-volume filtrate channels – the largest-volume filtrate channels ever designed for an ANDRITZ disc filter
- 396 ANDRITZ SuperFlow sectors for 22 filter discs with customized filter bags
- State-of-the art disc guiding system
- New filtrate valve with automated adjustment to the different beating degrees
- New knock-off and cleaning shower systems
- New repulper screw
- On-site services for installation and start-up as well as supervision of start-up
ANDRITZ has developed a new filter bag solution able to handle beating degrees above 600 CSF. The new development was tested on a full-size disc filter during a 3-day trial at the ANDRITZ pilot plant in Graz, Austria. This was the first time that a single disc filter could be operated at such a wide CSF range.
The disc filter rebuild order is part of SCA’s ongoing project to transform the existing TMP (thermo-mechanical pulp) line at the Ortviken site into a CTMP (chemo-thermo-mechanical pulp) plant with an annual capacity of 300,000 tons per year.
About SCA Pulp
SCA Pulp is part of the SCA Group, Europe’s largest private forest owner, which offers packaging material, pulp, wood products, and renewable energy. The SCA Pulp facility at Ortviken, Sundsvall is expected to be operational by the beginning of 2023. This strategic investment is SCA’s answer to the constantly rising market demands in the field of packaging and hygiene products.