Which is the paper mill industry future?
The new upcoming frontier is the so-called “Big Data Analysis” providing a useful tool both to Top Management and to other managerial stuff, needed according to the strategic goal setting of each mill. Within the few following years, all the production processes will be digitalized. Industry 4.0 won’t be a target to achieve, but a more of a new way of making business and manage companies.
This is exactly the Big Data frontier. All those huge amounts of data, managed by an A.I., and applied to a predictive analysis in real time, will be the basics for a smart maintenance program, as well as a better/efficient products engineering: efficiency and cost effects, in other words. There is no doubt that data will play a strategic role in the modern industry, since they are becoming larger size & amount wise and of different characteristics, such as:
- Design data: data regarding designing machinery and products.
- Operation data: in relation with the equipment functionality and their components, as well.
- Efficiency of labor data.
- Costs data.
- Logistics data.
- Environmental and climatic conditions data (internal/external temperature, humidity, noise).
- Fault and system health monitoring data.
- Quality product data (% of defective production).
- Product’s life cycle data (reparation, warehouse availability).
- Customers data (market targets, feedback from product usage, design suggestions).
Thanks to the Data Mining (the decision maker information) it is possible to understand if there are some engineering errors; machines and components life cycles; production faults or mistakes; efficiency; job monitoring; customers preferences and needs, and so on.
Starting from these real time information, the companies can go far beyond the simple manufacturing process: they can aim to the global service.