The tissue industry is facing all of these challenges as tribal knowledge disappears with the retirement of older workers. Little apparent innovation makes the industry unsexy, at least to younger workers seeking to acquire skills with some longevity.
As human resource departments need to become ever more creative in hiring and training effective manufacturing personnel, it is paramount to investigate and implement methods and technologies that allow for consistent operations despite labor shortcomings.
One technology worth investigating is computer vision, a component of digital manufacturing technologies that use data to provide compelling insights into operational improvements.
Computer vision provides the “eyes” that make high speed processes visible and the intelligent tools that make what is seen understandable. Smart image based process automation, troubleshooting guidance and quality records reduce pains associated with missing manufacturing expertise.
The vision technology vendor in tissue production & converting
Make tissue production easier
Traditionally the successful operation of a tissue machine has been heavily dependent on operator skill level. Today skill compensation is provided by these vision tools:
- Jet cut-through automation.
- Wet-line control automation.
- Sheet formation can be made visible and analyzed without the physical on-machine analysis.
- Root causes of web breaks can often be automatically presented with visual information reducing required troubleshooting skills.
- Web quality defects can be automatically identified often in conjunction with images of their root cause. Subjective operator inspection of web samples and troubleshooting is eliminated.
Furthermore, high speed processes can be recorded and saved for subsequent training of new manufacturing personnel. The access of vision data via remote services makes process and quality data readily available to resources with adequate skill levels in any location. This can make the need for specific site based skill sets unnecessary.